Baseball Thinking

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Virtual Reality?

Acquiring tickets for the Boston Red Sox has developed into a chore as of late, especially for the average Joe like me. It wasn't that long ago that I could easily attain these now prized ducats. But lately, that is simply not the case.
Have you tried gettin' them recently? It's a task that usually requires several pc's, phones and friends. Not to long ago I could purchase my tickets via telephone, relatively easy I might add. Pick up the phone, speak with an operator, and I was set for the season. Opening day tickets are the toughest in town, but with work, they were attainable. Along with the dawn of the information highway, online ticket sales became the way of life. And with the Internet were new perks, such as ticket packages for an entire season, ranging from 4 games to the entire schedule. Being the savvy Internet veteran that I am, purchasing what I needed was a piece of cake. I always got the packages I desired, as well as the seating locations I wished for. As it got a little more difficult, I threw a couple more pc's into the mix.
"Welcome to the Java Virtual Waiting Room". That is the lovely greeting online fans have come to memorize while waiting in a virtual line. (For some reason, that guy who was in front of me kept ignoring me!) What the hell is a virtual waiting room and how does it work? I know that there is way too much cutting of lines in this room. I was online right at 10Am during the last rush of sales and finally got through at 4PM!! Five computers constantly refreshing every 30 seconds and that was the best I could do!! My friend went out for the day, logged on at 7:30PM and got the tickets she wanted!! Yes, I eventually got through and received 4 games, all standing room only. My friend got actual seats! And it took her 4 minutes! I didn't grant her cut-sies.  Did you? The online purchasing for MLB ticket sales needs a facelift.  While I have learned to be patient with the wait, I usually end up at the back of the line.  I missed Opening Day last year for the first time in many years.  Mucho years.  I know, it's not fair.  Since the Red Sox have been taking my name and info for many years, you'd figure they would offer me the opportunity to purchase a few games before the general public gets their stab at it.  Send out a letter, an email, something .. something.  In the meantime, I'm starting to work out again in preparation for next years' sales.  No one is going to cut the line on me again.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home